1) The number one reason we should get baptized in water is because Jesus tells us to. Matthew 28:19 says, “So go and make followers of all people in the world. Baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.” As Christians we need to obey what Jesus says.
2) Baptism is a symbol. A symbol is something we do on the outside that shows what has happened in our heart. It is an outward expression of an inward reality. Water is used for cleaning things. We baptize in water to show our sins being washed away. When we are put under the water it is a symbol of our old selfish person being buried (this is why our church baptizes people by fully dunking them under water). When we come out of the water, it shows a new person has been born.
3) Other people should be able to see that we are a “new person.” We can see a good example of this in the things God has created. When a lumpy old caterpillar builds a cocoon and comes out a graceful butterfly, the change is easy to see. “If anyone belongs to Christ, then he is made new. The old things have gone; everything is made new!” 2 Cor. 5:17
4) Taking part in baptism is a time when we stand up for God and show we’re choosing to obey Him. If God is really important to us, we won’t be ashamed to tell others about Him and what He has done for us.
“If anyone stands before other people and says he believes in Me, then I will say that he belongs to Me.
5) Other passages to consider: Acts 8; Acts 10; Matthew 3
If you have not been baptized in water and would like to please send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and let's set up a time to meet and talk about this wonderful decision.