I find myself doing it a lot. My wife has to remind me to enjoy the season of life we are in now with our girls (3, 6 & 8) and stop looking to when they will be teenagers.
For the youth ministry I can't help but to dream about what is next. So here are some ideas around planning and casting vision for the future.
1) Make sure you have a good team in place that enjoys the now. What I mean by this is having leaders who enjoy walking with students each day. Helping to equip students in their faith. It's a journey.
2) Spend a lot of time in prayer. I can get a lot of random, sometime good sometimes bad, ideas of where to take the youth ministry. If I don't spend a good amount of time in prayer I may just wander randomly through a forest of ideas.
3) Take it slow. When casting vision and a new idea make sure you are taking the time to get everyone on board. Your Pastor, parents, leaders, students, etc. This may take time but its worth the process. You don't want to be headed down a path with a great idea and turn around and see that no one is following. Depending on your time and leadership in your current position this can sometimes go quickly but you still want to rush it.
4) I know for me it is important to have people who can help me map out the details of the vision and then carry out some of those details. By this time in the process I am usually on to the next idea. Having reliable people who you can trust to make what you hope to happen a reality is priceless.
5) Lastly make sure you are taking the time to enjoy each season. Take some time to see how God is using the idea and vision you had to help bring about transformation in the life of a student. For me it's sitting with my girls watching Dinosaur Train over and over again. Enjoy the time:)